January 23, 2019
Patients interested in Invisalign therapy usually want to know how long they must wear the product in order to see results. A complete course of treatment typically takes between 12-18 months. However, the exact answer to the question depends on factors such as the degree of misalignment and how long per day the aligner is worn. The best results are obtained when the patient wears the product consistently and follows all of their dentist’s recommendations.
All of Us Are Unique. So Is Invisalign
No two oral profiles are exactly alike. Some of us are born with nearly perfect teeth. Others must overcome severe misalignment issues. Most of us are somewhere in between. But all of us have unique needs. It’s for this reason that treatment times vary from one person to the next.
That being said, dentists have seen enough teeth in their time to estimate how long it should take for a particular patient to see results. For most Invisalign wearers, that time period is between 12-18 months. Your dentist may be able to give you a more precise timetable at the time of your exam.
Factors That Can Affect Length of Therapy
The purpose of Invisalign is to get you to the point where you no longer need the product. The length of time this process takes depends on how many hours per day you wear your aligners. Here are some helpful guidelines to remember:
- Estimated treatment times are based on the assumption that you will wear the product 22 out of every 24 hours
- You should only remove the product to eat, brush and floss your teeth, and clean the aligner itself. Replace it immediately afterwards.
- Invisalign aligners are snug enough for most people to wear safely when sleeping. If in doubt, then ask your dentist for guidance.
- Always bring the previous and following set of aligners with you when traveling. That way you can always have one on hand, even if the one you’re wearing is lost or damaged.
Is there a younger person in your family who needs alignment therapy? Ask your dentist about Invisalign for teens, which has handy reminder features to encourage the patient to wear the product consistently.
Other Tips for Achieving Success with Invisalign
The amount of time per day you wear your aligners is not the only factor that determines the length of therapy. You should also follow these guidelines:
- Rinse the product after every meal or as recommended by your dentist. Plain tap water is fine for this purpose.
- Clean the product daily using clear antimicrobial soap and a soft bristle toothbrush.
- Use the manufacture’s cleaning crystals or a standard denture cleaning product as directed by your dentist.
- Remove and replace the product carefully. Always store it in the included case when not in use.
Your dentist can give you more information about Invisalign and other alignment therapies. Discuss your options with him or her during your next appointment. You’ll soon be on your way to healthier teeth and a brighter, more beautiful smile.
About the Author
Dr. Gabriel Ruiz is an honors graduate of the Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine. He also attended the highly regarded Misch Implant Institute, where he underwent advanced training in dental implant placement. You can reach his office online or by calling (732) 451-0400.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.